Friday, November 13, 2009

My New Reading Light - From Garage Sale Bargain to a Highlight of the Living Room

**I am linking to Shanty2Chic's Rust-oleum Revamp Link Party.  Check it out to see what others have done with their projects**




Shanty 2 Chic


In a previous post, I alluded to big changes to a garage sale floor lamp that I bought for either $3 or got for free, depending on how you look at it.  You see, I bought this lamp and a wheelbarrow for $15.  The wheelbarrow was priced at $15 and the lamp at $3. Since I bought them both for $15, I am not sure of the "exact" price of the lamp.  Either way, it was a pretty good deal on a lamp with a nice look.

Here is the lamp as purchased.



Nice lines with a slightly water-stained shade and an unattractive aged brass color.  Not exactly screaming out for a place in our home.  But as we all know, a bit of spray paint can make a world of difference.

First, I bagged and taped the cord.  A plastic grocery bag and painters tape work great for this.



I chose Rustoleum Hammered Bronze for this lamp, since we have hammered bronze metal on several of our overhead light fixtures.  I also used the easy-grip handle so that my hand wouldn't get sore and my finger wouldn't get covered in spray paint. 



After several coats, I was left with a lamp with a much more updated look.   I especially love the pointed finials. 




A new $20 lamp shade from Target and we are ready to read.   I like the more antique look of the lamp. It coordinates wonderfully with the antique library table passed down from Hubs' family and works perfectly with our more formal living room.

I am pretty impressed with the transformation that cost less than $25.  Now all we need to do is get a comfy reading chair to put next to the lamp. 

Tip of the Project:  Use painters tape and a plastic grocery bag to protect lamp cords from spray paint overspray.

3 comments:

  1. These bronze spray paint projects are all amazing! What a great product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a lamp just like that in the study. I was going to trash it now I will use my favorite Oil Rubbed Bronze and transform it. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. We always love to hear from our readers!