Sunday, August 12, 2012

Plastic Horse Bookends - A Guest Post

I was happy to do this project for a guest posting on Adventures of a DIY Mom.



I was horse-mad as a kid and had horses all over my room. Over the years, they were given away, broken, or donated but a few managed to get boxed up.  I had previously turned one into an art piece and when I found this beautiful palomino in another box, I knew I had to transform him as well.

This project is a bit time consuming, mainly because of the wait time for the caulk and paint drying, but I really like how it turned out.

You will need 
  • a large plastic horse
  • tape
  • hack saw
  • sanding block
  • 2 small pieces of wood
  • gorilla glue
  • kreg jig
  • wood glue
  • 4 larger pieces of wood
  • screws
  • caulk
  • spray primer
  • spray paint
1.  Start with your large plastic horse.  Mark with tape where you will want to make your cut.

2.  Make your cut. If the edges are a bit rough, sand them with the sanding block. Give each side a quick spray with the primer.

3.  My horse was hollow so I needed to add an additional support to screw into the wooden part of the bookcase.  I cut 2 small pieces to fit inside, rounding the edges. I used the gorilla glue to secure it inside the horse.

4.  I used my Kreg jig drill the holes to secure the pieces of wood for each bookend.  I used the wood glue for a little extra insurance.  If you don't have a Kreg jig, just make sure to pre-drill your holes so the wood doesn't split. 

5.  To secure horse pieces to wood, I pre-drilled a hole and screwed everything together.

6. Using caulk, fill in any gaps. 

7.  Give everything a spray and you are all set. I used Krylon Ivy Leaf.  It is the same green that is in the fabric for the chair I am reupholstering.

So if you come across a plastic animal from your childhood, don't throw or give it away, turn it into bookends so you can see it every day.  I like that a piece of my childhood has been re-imagined in my present.

15 comments:

  1. Amazing! I always loved horses as a child, and grew up on a horse farm. I love this set of DIY bookends. Thanks for sharing the project. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and while it looks complicated, it wasn't that hard - just time consuming. Hope you make a set of your own.

      Delete
  2. You're so creative! I love this idea, can you imagine the gift possibilities?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These would make a great gift! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Love this project, so creative! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH that is just brilliant! I love this idea and you could adapt it to so many different toys etc!! Thanks for sharing!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool! Thanks for linking up at The Gathering Spot this week. Have a wonderful week. http://mamaldiane.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very smart! Was it hard for you to cut it into two? Not physically, I mean mentally/emotionally? We get so attached to childhoods things sometimes. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, since "Goldie" had been lost in a box in my parents' basement for so many years, it wasn't that hard. Then again, I did come up with a project so I wouldn't have to donate him, so I guess I wasn't totally ready to give up my horsey childhood. :-)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful art work done by using wood glue!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. where can i find lg plastic horses?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. We always love to hear from our readers!