Monday, September 10, 2012

Easy Peasy Fridge Pickles


Right now is pickle making time here in Michigan. OK, it isn't anything official so I should probably say it is pickle making time in our kitchen in Michigan.   Last year, I tried both fridge pickles (which according to D turned out fantastic) and the hot water bath processed kind (which did not turn out anywhere near fantastic. He tried one and threw the rest of the jars away they were that bad).

After that horrible outcome, this year, I decided to stick with the fridge pickles using the exact same process as last year. This means getting some Balls Kosher Dill Pickle Mix.
We bought 2 quart containers of pickles from the farmers market and that made about 8 pint jars of pickles.

This couldn't have been easier to make which is the beauty of the mix. Plus, I couldn't stand another sad D face after trying and spitting out those horrible pickles last year. Because we has smaller pickles and used smaller jars, I ended up needing to make another batch of the pickling liquid, even after making a double batch the first time.

Ingredients
  • Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix
  • White vinegar
  • Pickling cukes with the end cut off and sliced as you desire (I went with wedge shapes)
  • Clean and sterilized jars and lids (I ran my through my dishwasher and then used the heated drying cycle since these are going in the fridge)
Directions
  • Prepare the pickling liquid according to the directions on the box
  • Pack your cukes into the jars until they don't jostle around when you give the jar a shake
  • Pour the hot liquid over the pickles, leaving 1/4 head space
  • Close up the jars with the lids
  • Let cool before putting in the fridge.
  • Let "pickle" for at least 3 weeks before eating.  They should be consumed before 3-4 months passes.

How easy is that?  I think it took me longer to cut up all the cukes than all the other steps combined.  That is my kind of recipe.

Now D is counting the days until 3 months/90 days is up.  We are at 83 days and counting down. :-)

1 comment:

  1. They look delicious! I've never made pickles before, but you take the mystery out of it. Thanks for stopping by today and leaving me such encouraging comments. I hope you have a great week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. We always love to hear from our readers!