Thursday, October 4, 2012

Peanut Butter Choco Chip Cake - A Delicious Mistake

This recipe was originally a guest post on Posed Perfection.



Today I am sharing my Peanut Butter Choco Chip Cake.  Sometimes misreading a recipe turns out great. This is one of those times. 


I had a large summer squash hanging out in our CSA basket and just wasn't up for another stir-fry or roasted veggie dish.  I was craving something sweet.  That's when it hit me, on one of the Tout It Tuesday linky parties, A Little Nosh had linked up a recipe that looked like it would fit the bill.

I gathered up my ingredients and started to mix everything together when disaster struck! Or rather my apparent inability to follow a recipe while trying to read emails on my phone and put together the week's menu plan struck.  I had doubled the amount of agave nectar. Of course, I only noticed when the batter was way too soupy (even if it smelled a-freaking-mazing!)

Whoops! I would like to say that this is an unusual occurrence but, sadly, that isn't the case.  Note to self: stop trying to multi-task when baking.

Since I didn't want to waste this fabulous smelling concoction that I had mixed together, it was time to get creative.  Result? The recipe was no longer flourless.  I added more squash along with more peanut butter plus I doubled the cocoa and finally sprinkled choco chips on top. (can you have too much chocolate?)

Ingredients
  • 1-16 oz jar peanut butter (I used Smucker's natural peanut butter)
  • 2 cup of grated squash (I used the medium hole side of my box grater)
  • 2/3 cup of agave nectar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1 c flour
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 4 Tbsp of dark cocoa powder
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix everything together.
  • Pour into a greased 9×9 baking pan.
  • Sprinkle chocolate chips on top
  • Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I brought the cake to work and a number of people came back for seconds. I had to move it to our floor's little kitchenette since I was tempted to have a third piece. Yup, I ate two pieces before lunch, it was that good.

I love it when an disaster, with a little tweaking and some additional ingredients, turns out delicious!

Don't forget to enter the giveaway for a $25 Visa gift card and the Fall Fun and Howling Halloween Linky Party starts on tomorrow.  Make sure to stop by Claiming Our Space or one of the lovely co-hosts to link up Fall or Halloween related projects, recipes or posts.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious! Normally, when I goof up a recipe I have to dump it...I'm glad you were able to improvise and make it turn out better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. We always love to hear from our readers!