Thursday, October 18, 2012

Apple Struesel Caramel Cupcakes

This post was originally seen as a guest post on Practically Functional. ________________________________________________________________
Today I am sharing what has become my new favorite dessert of the Fall - Apple Struesel Caramel Cupcakes.

We have a monthly family dinner at our house the first Sunday of every month.  I love this because it not only gives my parents, D's mom, my brother, my great-aunt and a close friend, who is like family, a chance to get together and catch up in the midst of our busy lives - it also gives me an excuse to bake something new at least once a month. Sunday, I decided to try a recipe I found on Oh My Sugar High

Of course, I can't leave any recipe well enough alone and had to change it up a bit.  I swapped some of the ingredients up - added brown sugar, more apples and used a goat's milk caramel sauce.  I think the results of these  small changes were delicious!  The apple flavor was not overwhelmed by the cinnamon and the sweetness of the caramel was the perfect combination with the cupcake (which isn't the moistest I have ever had but the vanilla ice cream takes care of that). 

Everyone loved it and even my mom, who originally wanted to split a cupcake with someone else, ate the whole thing!

A couple of tips - make sure to watch how the cupcakes are baking. I didn't watch and the bottoms of some of mine got a bit burnt.  Wipe up any struesel that spills on the flat part of the cupcake pan.  The sugar in it will burn and make the oven smokey.  

I hope you enjoy this dessert as much as we did!

Apple Struesel Caramel Cupcakes
Source: Oh My Sugar High

Cupcake Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup of low-fat milk
4 small apples, diced - 2 for batter and 2 for topping
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Cinnamon

Streusel Topping Ingredients
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp powdered cinnamon
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup of cold unsalted butter, diced into cubes
1/4 cup rolled oats

Caramel topping (we used some Beekman 1802 Cajeta - a delicous goat milk caramel.)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Add eggs and beat for a minute or so after each egg
Add vanilla
In a separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients
Alternate dry ingredients with milk into mixer, starting with the dry and ending with the dry.
Lightly fold 2 diced apples into batter.
Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray
Scoop into into muffin tins (about 3/4 full)
Sprinkle remaining diced apple on top of cupcakes
In the same bowl that previously held the dry ingredients, mix all struesel ingredients by hand until you have a texture that is coarse and crumbly
Top apple-sprinkled cupcakes with streusel topping
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean
Let cupcakes cool on wire rack for 15-20 minutes.
Just before serving, heat caramel sauce and take the ice cream out of the fridge to soften slightly
Place cupcake on plate with a scoop or two of ice cream.
Drizzle with caramel sauce.

Enjoy!

Jessi, thanks so much for letting me share my new favorite fall dessert with all your readers!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! This was definitely a big hit with my readers, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you do make these. I would love to hear if others like them as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. We always love to hear from our readers!