Friday, August 22, 2014

C25K. Here we come!

Source
Confession time here:  D and I are overweight.  Our BMIs put us in the obese category.  This is not at all a good thing.  So in 2014 we decided to do something about it.  I signed up for My Fitness Pal (MFP*) and started tracking everything I ate (that was an eye-opener and I quickly figured out why I was so heavy).  We got a food scale and started weighing all the foods we are eating. 

Up until now, we have mainly been watching what we eat and doing some exercising, mainly riding the exercise bike and walking.  This has been pretty successful and I am down almost 38 lbs from January. D is down about 30 lbs.  Woo hoo!  Seeing the scale slowly move downward has been a positive thing.

However, now it is time to step it up a notch and really get serious about the exercise thing.  So we have started Couch to 5K or C25K as it is often called.  It claims to get you ready to run a 5K in 9 weeks.  We will see if that actually happens.  I haven't run any real distance in almost 10 years.  So this is the first in a series to let you all know how it goes.

We do have an end goal to our training.  A Zombie Dash at the end of October.  We thought we would celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary by running from zombies.  (we are so romantic!)

I will be updating weekly on our progress.  So far week one has been a success, we have 2 runs under our belt with the third planned for Saturday.  Willow and Cricket join us and seem to love getting out and moving a little faster and further than our usual walks. 

In case you want to start your own C25K program.  I copied it from the Cool Runnings website

*If you are on MFP and want to be friends, send me an email.  I know the only way to be successful is to have support from people making the same weight loss journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. We always love to hear from our readers!