Monday, April 30, 2012

Stir-Fried Honey-Ginger Chicken with Peppers


I love Martha, Martha Stewart that is. She is fabu! Though, if I had to speak truthfully, I don't usually love her recipes.  They have a million steps and use a thousand ingredients that are not usually found in one's pantry or local grocery. OK, maybe I am exaggerating about the million steps and the thousand ingredients, but not on the unusual ingredients.  Admit it, you know what I am talking about.

So when I came across this recipe, I immediately said, "Holey moley, I have all these ingredients at home.  We HAVE to try this!" Added bonus:  I got a wok from my parent for my birthday that we hadn't tried yet.

The prepping of the ingredients takes longer than the actual cooking since there is a lot of chopping and cutting.  The first time I made this, I did all the prep myself and it took me about 45 minutes to an hour from start to finish.  The second time we made this, we used beef (a very tasty option, just need to cook the meat a bit longer than the chicken) and D helped with the prep.  Then it only took about 30 minutes from start to finish, which was great until we realized the brown rice wasn't done cooking. Whoops! So we just used the waiting time to get some dishes done, set the table and play with Willow.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.


Stir-Fried Honey-Ginger Chicken with Peppers (source: Martha Stewart)

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts - sliced into 1/4-inch strips
  • 1/4 cup peeled fresh ginger - grated
  • 2 garlic cloves - minced (I rehydrated some dried minced garlic from Penzeys)
  • 3 red, orange, & yellow bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed) - thinly sliced
  • Cooked brown rice - for serving
Directions
  • In a small bowl, whisk together honey, vinegar, and soy sauce
  • Heat a large skillet or wok over high until hot.
  • Add 1 tablespoon oil and swirl to coat skillet.
  • Add chicken and stir until opaque but not cooked through, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate.
  • Add 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, and garlic to skillet and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds.
  • Add peppers and stir 2 minutes.
  • Add soy mixture and bring to a boil.
  • Return chicken to skillet and toss until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
  • Serve over rice.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this recipe! Reminds me of my favourite chinese take out dish but without the guilt C:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will also make your house smell A-mazing! If you make it, let me know how it turned out.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. We always love to hear from our readers!