Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lucky Shamrock Pillow - Just in Time for St. Patrick's Day

This project was featured on Skip To My Lou


Skip To My Lou


St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner!  The day when everyone is lucky, and a little bit Irish.  Bring on the Bulmers, the Baileys and coffee, the corned beef, pub songs and the craic!  Can you tell I like St. Patrick's Day?

Now, even though I'm a wee bit Irish, I still thought I needed to bring a little bit of extra luck into my home with a lucky shamrock pillow.  The fact that I got to use some felt was an added bonus.

One thing I liked about this pillow is that I didn't need to do much sewing, just the pillow cover.  The shamrock leaves are glued on.  So this makes the project an easy, and quick, one.  The only sewing I needed to do was the pillow cover.  If you used fusible tape, you wouldn't need to sew a thing.


Step 1:  Gather your materials
  • Green felt, in 2 shades
  • Fabric glue
  • Scissors
  • Card stock to make the leaf templates
  • Fabric for pillow cover
  •  Pencil
Step 2: Make template for leaves - these will be heart shaped (these measurements are for a 17" pillow cover, you may need to adjust for your own pillow)
  • Cut 2 squares out of the card stock, the first 5" square and the second 6" square
  • Fold the squares in half drew half a heart using as much of the square as possible
  • After cutting long the lin, you have your leaves/hearts
Step 3:  Cutting the felt
  • Cut the darker green felt into 6" squares and use the larger template to cut out 4 large leaves
  • Cut the lighter green felt into 5 squares and I use the smaller template to cut out 4 smaller leaves
  • Cut out a circle about 1.5" in diameter out of the darker felt
  • Set aside one piece of the dark green felt about 1" x 6" in size, this will be for the stem
Step 4:  Cut out the pillow cover front and find the center of the pillow cover
  • Cut out the front of your pillow cover out of whatever fabric you want
  • Fold the pillow cover in half, finger pressing to create a visible fold
  • Fold the pillow in half the other way, finger pressing to create a visible fold
  • Unfold and using a pencil, mark the center point.  This will enable you to make sure your leaves are centered on the pillow.
Step 5:  Lay out the leaves and glue them down
  • Using the center point, lay out the largest leaves
  • Once you have them where you want them, use the fabric glue to glue them down. I glued about 1" in from the edge.
  • Lay the smaller leaves directly on top of the larger leaves
  • Again, one you have them placed where you want them, glue them down.
  • Take the dark green circle and glue it down over the center points of the leaves to hide where they all meet
  • Let dry for about hour
Step 6:  Cut the stem and glue down
  • Now that the leaves have been glued down, take the last piece of dark green felt and cut out the stem
  • Tuck it under two of the leaves and glue it down

Step 7: Finish your pillow
  • I finished my pillow using an envelope back.
Step 8:  Enjoy your shamrock pillow!  May your March be lucky!



Linking up to
DIY Home Sweet Home, A Round Tuit,The Girl Creative, Mad in Crafts, Keeping it Simple,Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Singing Three Little Birds, Skip to My Lou, C.R.A.F.T., Craftomaniac, Marvelously Messy, Coastal Charm, Northern Cottage, Hope Studios, Tip Junkie, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Sugar Bee Crafts, Homework, Today's Creative Blog, Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy, The Thrifty Home, Blue Cricket Design, Passionately Artistic, Not Just a Housewife, Type A, Crafty, Scrappy, Happy, Brassy Apple, Homemaker on a Dime, Sisters of the Wild West, Tutus and Tea Parties,Dwell on Joy, The Blackberry Vine,Serendipity and Spice,Vintage Mauve, The NY Melrose Family, Michelle Paige,

15 comments:

  1. Nice job and you made it simple for all of us too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun easy way to add some fun! thanks for sharing on Make it monday! I will be sharing your link on the Brassy Apple FB page and with my twitter followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing with your other followers!

      Delete
  3. Loving your St. Patrick's Day pillow! Would you be willing to link up your post to my Springtime Holiday Link Party? I'd love to have you! http://michellepaige.blogspot.com/2012/02/springtime-holiday-link-party.html
    Thanks, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Heading over to link up now!

      Delete
  4. Stopping by from Whimsy Wednesday. Love this! http://craftyandcookingmomma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is darling! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that the leaves are glued on! I can't even sew a button onto a shirt! Lol! Thanks so much for sharing on Whimsy Wednesday over at The NY Melrose Family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Irish Granmother would have loved this. I should do this in memory?? Thank you being so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be great to make in memory of your Gran! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. This is so cute! I'd love for you to share this at Mix it up Monday:

    http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/03/mix-it-up-monday_11.html

    I hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the invite. I am heading over now!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday! I hope you'll stop back soon :)

      Delete
  9. fatty liver disease diet mayo clinic fatty liver disease diet mayo clinic
    fatty liver disease diet mayo clinic

    my weblog :: alcoholic fatty liver milk thistle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. We always love to hear from our readers!